Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The brightest blessings.

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26, ESV)


Holy heartbreak, Batman.

Today was my last day of teaching English. The day that Megan Miss went into retirement. Easily one of the toughest days I have faced during my time here in Nepal.

The hard part wasn't that I had to stop teaching, honestly it's a bit of a relief to have the weight of their English education lifted off my shoulders. The hardest part was walking out of that school knowing the impact those kids have made in my life, and realizing that there is no way I could ever repay them.

When I started teaching back in April, I went into it with the attitude that I could really teach these kids something. That it was good they could have a native English speaker to teach them proper grammar. I allowed myself to believe that somehow I could be a blessing to them.

And little by little, incident after incident, God humbled me. He showed me that while I had the intention of blessing these sweet kids, He had the intention of smothering me in blessings more numerous than I could count.


The cunning wit of Class 5, who never fail to bring a goofy grin to my face.

The smiles and nervous giggles that were responses to jokes my kids didn't quite get.


The wildly enthusiastic greetings I received when I walked in to teach Class 6.

The days when it was more fun to tease each other than it was to learn.


The catch-phrase Class 7 and I would say when no one wanted to answer the question. "Anybody? Nobody?"

The hands I got to hold each morning when I walked our Nursery kids to class after chapel.

The obvious desire for knowledge that class 8 showed on a very regular basis.

The bliss that filled my heart whenever I was with my kids.


These kids taught me about patience, compassion and having a thirst for God. They made every moment I had with them memorable. They brightened each day that I was able to spend with them.

And as I walked out of school today, and resigned from, quite possibly, my favorite job, I found myself smiling amidst the tears. The time I had to spend with them was a very special gift from God. Time that I wouldn't trade for anything in this world. I am so beyond thankful that God called me out of my comfort zone to step in front of these classes and assume the roll of teacher.

And I am more glad that He has given me peace in the ending of it. It feels finished.

Here's to the next month of loving on my kids, and the blessings that it will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment