Sunday, May 18, 2014

Finding rest.

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock." (Isaiah 26:3-4 ESV)


Before I begin this post, I have to admit something to you all. The last few weeks I have been dealing with Culture Shock. Basically, what that means is I have hit the phase of living in Kathmandu where I just can't handle being here.

With culture shock comes feelings of depression, frustration and despondency. And I just couldn't seem to shake it, no matter what I tried. 

It impacted my life in a lot of ways. It made me irritable with just about everyone. I became much quieter and I didn't want to leave my flat to go do anything.

It also effected my relationship with Christ. I can't tell you how many times in the last month I have read my Bible (or not read it) and come away feeling more empty that before. I didn't understand anything God was trying to tell me. I wasn't even understanding whether or not he was trying to tell me anything. It seemed to me like he was some distant figure who was watching me struggle, and who had no interest in coming to my rescue.

I don't care you who you are... That's hard.

A few weeks ago, my roommate and I had planned a short weekend get away to a town in Nepal about 6 hours away called Pokhara. I'm convinced that it couldn't have come at a better time.

I dedicated my weekend to spending time in the Word, spending time talking with Jesus, and trying to remember how to have fun. I knew I needed a time to rest and rejuvenate, but I'm not sure that I realized just how badly I needed it.



When we hopped off the public transportation on Friday, we were met with this view. Already I could begin to feel my spirits lift! There's something about being from Washington and seeing the water that causes instant revival. Rolling hills surrounded the lake and were covered in green trees. Not quite like home, but I'll take it.


 First thing Saturday morning we rented a scooter from a local store and went exploring out in the hills. My roommate had ridden before, but it was my first time. As I wobbled and swerved our way down the roads, we laughed and screamed and garnered a lot of attention from the locals. Just remembering to laugh was some of the greatest medicine for my heart.


After several hours up in the hills, we rode out to a lake and rented a boat. We rowed our way, quite slowly, to the middle, and jumped in! People stared and laughed at the two white girls swimming around in the murky lake, but the cool water was so refreshing in the hot sun. After we had spent time in the water, I spent some MUCH needed time with Jesus. Reading through 1 Corinthians, then starting Isaiah, looking out over the water from our rowboat, with the hills in the background. Listening to giggles and laughter from other boats, and singing along to our Christian music mix. Now THAT is what I call refreshing.
 

This woman right here is one of the only reasons that I'm still standing on two feet. She has been a listening ear, an encouraging heart and a joke cracker at just the right moment. I loved spending this weekend away getting to know her better, talking about Jesus and laughing at the ridiculous situations we found ourselves in.


I'm so incredibly thankful to be here. To be in Nepal. I KNOW that this is where I'm supposed to be. And I know that culture shock, and everything involved in it, is a struggle I will need to battle through. And one that Christ will be victorious in. 
But I am also incredibly thankful for opportunity to get away and regroup. To take time for me, to address the spiritual needs I have and to remind myself who I am in Christ, what He has done for me, and why exactly He has me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment