Sunday, July 13, 2014

Doing life.

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Colossians 3:17 ESV)

Every Sunday afternoon, I sit down in my flat and write out a blog post. Some weeks there are too many cute, funny, inspiring, life-changing stories to choose from. And some weeks it's hard to come up with anything to write about at all. My problem today is the latter.

As I debated what circumstance I could pull a story out of, or what God has taught me this week, I realized that one of my favorite things about living here has been completely overlooked...

Doing life. Just normal, everyday life.

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes a day passes uneventfully.

Well, uneventful in my eyes, anyways.

Yes, I still gamble with my life when crossing the street. I still barter with Nepalis over unreasonably small amounts of money. I memorize our daily power outage schedule. I get down on hands and knees to scrub my clothes in a tub of soapy water. I still tell my kids stories in Nepali. I recognize which street dogs belong in my alley, and I trust them to keep me safe.

Yes, I still pass by butchered chickens and goat heads on the street corners. I dodge rocks in the middle of the road that are deemed "holy" covered in tikka. I still hunt mosquitoes like a psychopath. I look out my kitchen window to try and catch a glimpse of the Himalayas. I shower several times a day to try and stave off heatstroke.

But to me, that's my normal.

Not everything thing I do is new and exciting anymore. I've adjusted, I've adapted, and I've made this place my home. And so some weeks are mundane. And I love that.

But I have been afraid to admit that. I don't want my life to seem average, or anything less then exceedingly exciting. I don't want anyone to think that living here can seem stagnant. Or that some days I would rather laze around in my pajamas, eating nothing but potato chips and cupcakes, watching movies instead of going out and experiencing everything that Kathmandu has to offer.

I like doing life here. I like how average it has become. And it no longer matters to me to make everything appear riveting and enthralling. Because it's not. And I'm thankful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment