Sunday, February 9, 2014

America the beautiful, and slightly out of reach.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul." (Psalm 23:1-2 ESV)



GO HAWKS!!

I was blessed with the opportunity to watch the Super Bowl live (5:15 AM my Monday morning) surrounded by friends! We had wings, chips and salsa, and other "normal" Super Bowl foods, just like I was in America. And with the windows and curtains closed, the game projected on the wall just like a big flat screen television, listening to a mixture of cheering and laughing, for a split-second...I was IN America. Watching and rating the commercials, seeing the fireworks over the stadium, fawning over Bruno Mars. Seeing the extravagant waste of the country I so dearly love. I was swept away to the life I used to live.

But I had quite the time of it coming back. After being crowned World Champs, my roommate and I stepped back in the real world. Back to our normal lives. And I was smacked in the face with bright sunshine, busy roads, a lack of white people, and the realization that, in fact, I wasn't in America.

Talk about a brutal truth!

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I remember feeling discontent. I hadn't realized how much I missed America until that morning. The mirage I had sat in for 4 hours faded into my reality. One that I tried to resist all day.

Tuesday my roommate and I made our way down to Thamel, the tourist center of Kathmandu. Not my favorite place to go, but we had errands to run, and there was the promise of a steak dinner hanging over my head. Steak is, by far, my favorite food. Ever. And it's a rare find in Hindu territory. I was stoked.

And when we entered the restaurant, and I opened my menu, I was once again taken back to the land of stars and stripes. Of freedom, democracy, Starbucks, and washing machines. I blissfully ate my $6 steak (one of the best I've ever had) and chatted with my roomie for 2 hours.

Then we stepped back out into the street. And I was struck once again by the stark differences between my home in America and my home here in Nepal.

A true internal struggle was had the next day. I tried to hold onto the spirit of thankfulness I've acquired over the past 4 months. Thankfulness that we have internet, even if it's incredibly spotty. Thankfulness that we have a source of heat, even if it fills the room with the smell of gas.

But I felt it slipping away.

A lot of time was spent in prayer Wednesday morning. Prayer that God would help calm my heart, that He would stop the downward spiral that I was afraid was beginning. Prayer that He would revise my perspective one more time.

And He answered me.

In the form of my kids.

Oh, how I love my kids! They never cease to lighten my burdens, to rejuvenate my heart. An evening spent with them was just what I needed.

A flood of boys ran from their rooms all yelling "Megan Auntie! Megan Auntie!" We talked about soccer, school, and took plenty of pictures with my phone.

Dozens of little-girl hands tugged, ripped, and played with my hair. Risking lice was worth the joy it brought all of us.

I rocked a little one to sleep, who wasn't feeling well. And I was able to visit with some of our women, whom I have come to dearly love.

The Lord is good. All the time. He knows EXACTLY what I need, and when I need it. He allows me to struggle with things. To find where I stand. To find what I will run to first when things don't go my way, when they get hard.

God wants my full attention. My full devotion. But I am imperfect, and I fall short of giving Him those things CONSTANTLY.

Yet He doesn't withdraw from me. He doesn't stop loving me. He doesn't stop providing for me exactly what I need, exactly when I need it. Not a minute too soon, not a second too late.

I love how He loves me.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't kids amazing? Isn't service good for our hearts? (Have we "talked" about this before?) I can't tell you how many times I was feeling some negative emotion before going to my student lifegroup, only to leave feeling better. Thanks for sharing the realness of your journey. And I'm glad you're living in the struggle and growing with it, instead of ignoring it. I'm proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete